In this episode, we are going to talk about a day in the life of a Starfleet officer, and how you can use the mundane parts of life to create extraordinary stories. This is STA Engage!
Welcome to the show. I’m your host, Dr RPG, Jeff Harvey. Last episode we talked about what life would be like in the Star Trek setting…that was the first part of this 2 parter, so, to get more reference, you’ll want to go back and check that one out.
In this episode, we are going to talk about how everything we learned in the last episode can apply to your character, and the narrative of your STA game.
Speaking of continuingmissionsta.com, here is my co host, the immaculate Michael Dismuke
The goal of this show is to help fans of Star Trek, and of role-playing, better engage with the Star Trek Franchise, the Star Trek Adventures game, and the community at large.
This show is brought to you by the letter B, the Number 1764, and the support of people like you. So, like, subscribe, share, and support us on patreon (eventually). You can find more info about the folks that sponsor us and are putting this show together, our production team at Studio Tembo, the folks at Continuing Mission, and our primary sponsor for this season, Adventure Ink, just follow the links down in the doobly do.
So, how does that help me play a better character?
- Never Stop Exploring
- With all your needs met, you are free to explore, and be ever curious
- Or..hey…maybe you joined starfleet because it was something to do
- The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few
- Altruism is actually obtainable…you can better the lives of everyone
- Or, you could do just what you need to do to get what you want/need from the world
- Embrace Diversity
- It’s a universe of Infinite Diversity in Infinite combinations. You can have encountered thousands of different beings before you even enter starfeet
- Humans still do human things…maybe you’ve never seen an alien from a low grav world before and you just don’t really know how to deal with their unique needs…or maybe you just straight hate vulcans, those smug, superior, eltitises.
- Questions the Status Quo
- The burden of a curious mind is to question why
- But…maybe yours is just to do and die
- Lead Boldly, but Also Listen
- Infinite diversity…infinite points of view. A person is only as smart as the people they surround themselves with.
- Listen, then lead
Or…you could lead from the front. That never turned out badly for any Generals from Michigan…. Google it.
- You can also be one of those people that simply can’t handle all the pressure.
- Maybe you’re more suited to the rank and file…
- In Every Decision, Use Logic and Emotion
- Stress is a factor, even in a post scarcity world…but you are much more free to reason that to act on passion
- Here’s the thing…while education, experience, training, and knowledge are available to everyone, we are still creatures of instinct, and you never know how you will react to a situation until you do.
- Learn from Entities That are Better Than You
- Knowledge comes from experience… no matter how much you read about a subject, or watch YouTube videos, you’ll never be as good at a thing as will by doing a thing.
- More than that though, if you wanna be the best at something, you need to be around people that are better at it than you.
- No matter how good you are at anything….you can always be better, and there is always someone out there to prove that to you.
- Life Lessons
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Learn from the mistakes of others
- Talk to people, share their stories
- Master yourself…
The main takeaway here should be, in a post scarcity setting where equality is the standard, we are able to explore ideas and concepts from a different perspective, a more open mind, and maybe a more satirical eye.
We have a rare opportunity, not only in gaming, but in life, to evaluate the world from behind a Utopian ideal. We can see the imperfections in that perfect world, or we stare out at the world around us now and see how our imperfections can be addressed, how the vision of perfect tomorrow can shape our today.
We can harness all of the struggles we see today, and face them, head on, and tackle the harsh realities of our present, in the safety and security of a 24th century that has already outgrown those divisions.
Gaming is about telling stories, but stories shape our lives. Not just our characters lives, but in a million small ways, every story we hear, every story we tell, every story shapes who we are, just a little. The beauty of what Gene Rodenberry created lies in the power and potential of the stories his utopia allows us to share with one another.
And on that note, we are gonna call it a wrap. Next time, on STA Enage, we are going to talk about something Mike is passionate about, Mission Briefs. We are going to discuss what they are, how to craft them, and how to use them in your games.
So, tune in next time for: Balance of Terror, OR How I learned to stop worrying and love the Romulans.
Until then, If you like what you hear, and you want to help this show, share this episode with one other person who might enjoy what we’re doing. I’m your host, Dr RPG Jeff Harvey, and on behalf of myself, my co-host Michael Dismuke, and everybody that works behind the scenes, Live Long and Prosper.
Support us on Patreon
The Official Modiphius Entertainment Site
The Official STA Engage SIte:
The Continuing Mission
Our Wonderful Sponsor!
Our Production Team
Starfleet Command’s Discord